Manaslu circuit trek situated in the Gorkha district of Nepal is a moderately challenging yet the most adventurous and thrilling trek. The Manaslu circuit trek will let you venture through the rugged terrain, pristine lakes, towering waterfalls, snow-capped mountains, roaring rivers, and remoteness. The trek takes approximately 14-16 days to complete depending upon the trekkers. The journey starts in Arughat and covers a total of around 177 km.
Challenges of Manaslu Circuit Trek | How to Prepare and overcome them?
Table of Contents
Besides the breathtaking views there are some challenges to face during the Manaslu circuit trek and they can be discussed as follows:
When the altitude starts increasing then the air becomes thin resulting in a drop in oxygen which causes a headache, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, and difficulty in sleeping which is also known as altitude sickness.
As the Manaslu circuit trek starts from the town Arughat situated at an altitude of 600m and the trek ends at Larkya La Pass situated at an altitude of 5106m such huge difference in altitude can cause altitude sickness.
How to overcome altitude sickness?
The following are the key points to overcome altitude sickness:
- Acclimatization(sleeping at a place with low altitude) is the best way to prevent altitude sickness
- Staying hydrated
- Minimum consumption of caffeine and alcohol
- Diamox tablets also can be of good help at higher altitudes
The Manaslu Circuit Trek brings you to the foothills of the Himalayas in a lonely environment. The routes on this breathtaking excursion are somewhat difficult. The challenge rises dramatically when the course passes through unexplored, off-the-beaten-path terrain. Trekking through the rocky trails and narrow paths carrying heavy backpacks can be physically demanding as well.
How to Overcome Physical Challenges?
As the trek challenges both the physical and mental balance, strength, and endurance getting both physically and mentally ready for the trek can be a plus point in the Manaslu circuit trek. some of the basic preparations include:
- Going on long hikes on rugged terrains to get familiarized
- Strength training can help significantly
- Stretching and endurance training
- Carrying chocolate bars, snacks, and juices can help you get more energy
Accommodation and food:
Local tea houses serve as the primary method of accommodation in the remote sections of the Manaslu circuit trek. In these tea houses, meals and overnight stays are available. However, due to their remote location, these businesses' resources are extremely limited. You will be provided with the simplest necessities for the hike. However, you may be unfamiliar with such conditions, which may account for a difficult stay. Talking about the food due to the lack of transportation facilities the food you get may not be within your expectations.
How to overcome challenges regarding accommodations and food?
- Prebooking of tea houses and lodges during the peak season prevents you from hunting and dwelling at the last moment
- If you have any special dietary needs then you should prepare for yourself as the teahouses may not meet your expectations
- Bringing personal sleeping bags could be a better idea as the bed sheets and blankets in the teahouses are not washed frequently
- You should make yourself familiar with squat toilets which can be a new experience for you
Unpredictable weather conditions:
Traveling at high altitudes causes weather problems that have never been seen before. Within hours, the weather might change from a bright sunny clear sky to an overcast and dark sky. Rainfall and snowstorms are also common in such places, which are highly unstable and unpredictable. Such weather mitigates the hazards of muddy and slippery trails, increasing the likelihood of accidents. Avalanches may even be a possibility at certain periods of the year owing to snowstorms.
How to overcome the challenges regarding weather conditions?
- Choosing a good season(spring and autumn) can be the best option
- If you choose monsoon or winter then you must prepare for both rain and snowfall
- Inquiring about the weather forecast before starting your day can help you a lot
- Packing appropriate gear and clothing is the most
“Every challenge you face today makes you stronger tomorrow” so always be ready for the challenge.pack your bags and get ready to venture into the greatest adventure of a lifetime the one and only “Manaslu Circuit Trek”.